Mental Health and Well-being
Your Mental Health and Well-being
Mental health is the social and emotional wellbeing of individuals and communities.
Having good mental health does not mean you feel happy all of the time but rather it’s a state of overall wellbeing.
Having good mental health enables us to:
- Enjoy life
- Cope with and ‘bounce back’ from stress and sadness
- Be able to set and fulfil goals
- Have the capability to build and maintain relationships with others.
Many people try hard to maintain their physical health but forget to look after their mental health which is just as important.
Some things that help to keep us mentally healthy are:
- a good night's sleep
- good nutritious food
- drinking plenty of water
- regular exercise and fresh air
- talking to friends and family
- mindfulness and meditation.
If you are feeling sad or unable to cope with every day problems, please talk to someone. Below is a list of useful services which may be of some help to you.
Free listening services
These services offer confidential advice from trained volunteers. You can talk about anything that's troubling you, no matter how difficult:
- Call 116 123 to talk to Samaritans, or email: email@example.com for a reply within 24 hours
- Text "SHOUT" to 85258 to contact the Shout Crisis Text Line, or text "YM" if you're under 19
If you're under 19, you can also call 0800 1111 to talk to Childline. The number will not appear on your phone bill.
- Mental health support | Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
- Mental Health Foundation
- Mental health - NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- What can I do to help myself cope | Mind, the mental health charity - help for mental health problems
- Next Step Cards
- stem4 - supporting teenage mental health
- YoungMinds | Mental Health Charity For Children And Young People | YoungMinds
- Signs That a Child Is Suffering From Mental Health Issues | NSPCC
Here at Audley Junior School the following adults are qualified in Mental Health First Aid: Neil Holden, Melanie Payne, Keelie Bentley and Sajidah Desai. Our children are taught about mental health and well-being as well as being provided with useful strategies to maintain healthy minds as well as healthy bodies.
Click on the link below to access some recorded meditations which you may find useful.